For Expert Skiers & Riders Only
Looking to elevate your Monarch experience? Monarch Cat Skiing offers 1,635 acres of diverse expert terrain featuring wide open bowls, steep chutes, beautiful glades and some of the best tree skiing you will ever experience. A beacon is required (provided) and an Avi Float Pack is available for your use (optional) at no extra charge. Lunch and an après ski beverage (beer, wine or non-alcoholic) for each guest is included in the price of the Cat. Guests can also try out demo/powder equipment (Head, Never Summer) from our Rental Shop at no extra charge.
NEW for the 2023/2024 season:
- Dynamic pricing based on previous demand for bookings and dates. Click the BOOK NOW calendar for more details.
- Monarch Season Pass Discount: 10% off single seats with your 23/24 Monarch, Monarch Only or Monarch Week-Day Pass. Not valid on Child or Junior Passes. Week-Day Pass valid Mon-Fri. Non-transferable. Blacked out in February.
- 15% off when you book a full snowcat/12 seats.
We are taking reservations for the 2023-24 season for single seats or the entire Cat with a maximum of 12 guests per snowcat. Click BOOK NOW for the calendar of available dates/prices.
2023/24 Cat Skiing
|Full Cat/12 Seats|
Click BOOK NOW, then under the TICKETS tab, click on Cat Skiing for low/standard/high dates, availability and pricing. You will need to select at least one seat to SEARCH DATES.
Opening and closing days for Cat Skiing may vary depending on snow coverage on the terrain and are subject to change.
For questions or to book by phone, call Guest Services at 719.530.5196.
Details & Policies
Conditions in the back country are variable and extreme. You must be an advanced/expert skier or rider. If the guides determine that the skill level of a guest is hindering the progress of the group, or is endangering themselves or others, those individuals may be asked to finish their day skiing/riding lift-served, in-bound trails at Monarch Mountain.
The minimum age for cat skiing is 14 with a parent or guardian present, though we will give special consideration for younger guests with full cat bookings and prior approval. Skiers and riders ages 17 and younger must have a parent or guardian present and a Monarch Cat Skiing release signed by a parent or legal guardian.
Each trip requires “5 to Fly”: a minimum of 5 paying guests in the snowcat in order for it to go out on that trip that day. If there are less than 5 guests in the cat on the date you’ve scheduled, you will receive a phone call or email informing you that this requirement has not been met. We will work with you to either reschedule your date or process a refund of your payment.
23/24 Monarch Season Pass holders are eligible for 10% off the price of their single seat, excluding the month of February; applies to the passholder only. This benefit applies to the Teen, Adult and Senior Monarch Season Pass, the Teen, Adult, Senior and Super-Senior Monarch Only Season Pass, and the Teen, Adult and Senior Monarch Week-Day pass. The Monarch Week-Day pass discount is valid Monday through Friday only. This benefit not transferable and is blacked during the month of February.
- Full payment is required at the time of booking.
- Cancellation policy: Full refund up to 30 days prior to arrival; 50% refund between 10 and 30 days; no refund or changes within 10 days of the scheduled trip. Requests for cancellations or changes may be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 719.530.5105.
- If you begin to experience symptoms or have been exposed to COVID-19 within this time, call 719.530.5105 to discuss options.
- Monarch Cat Skiing reserves the right to cancel a trip at any time due to mechanical problems, avalanche danger or skiing conditions. A refund may be given, or the trip will be rescheduled.
- Monarch Cat Skiing refund policy is based on guests receiving a minimum of five hours of skiing/riding time. This time will include lift rides, cat rides, orientation at the top of runs, re-grouping below, and, of course, skiing and riding! We do not guarantee a total number of runs or vertical, as this will be determined by snow conditions, group ability, and individual run logistics.
- Any refund due to circumstances beyond our control will be based on time missed from the five-hour minimum of skiing/riding time. The value of each hour is calculated on the cost of the individual seat or full cat divided by five. This number is multiplied by the number of hours lost from the minimum and will constitute the amount of a refund.
- Monarch Cat Skiing does not provide refunds for a guest’s failure to arrive on time, group or individual “no shows”, injury, the inability to ski/ride the terrain or conditions, lost skiers/riders, or for any other personal emergencies or issues.
- If you are feeling ill for any reason on the day of your trip, please stay home. Call us at 719.530.5105 to let us know.
- As a guest with Monarch Cat Skiing, you will be expected to listen and follow all instructions from the guides throughout the cat trip.
- Participants are expected to arrive well rested and hydrated. Remember, you will be skiing near or at 12,000 feet in elevation. Feeling well, sleeping well, eating well and staying hydrated are keys to avoiding altitude sickness.
- You may boot up and leave items in the Yurt for the day. We suggest that you don’t leave anything of value in the yurt and, instead, secure things in your vehicles or keep them with you on your person or pack.
- Monarch Cat Skiing does our best to provide services for guests with a disability. Adequate notification (72 hours in advance) may be helpful to our staff in making a reasonable accommodation.
- Monarch Cat Skiing discourages the use of headphones. If you must wear them, be sure they are off when the guides are explaining the details of each run. Participants agree to abstain from the use of alcohol or drugs while on their cat skiing trip.
- Participants agree to ski/ride within their ability level.
- Participants agree to listen to all instructions from the guides.
- If the guides determine that the skill level or the lack of cooperation from a participant is impeding the ability for the group to achieve the maximum runs on their trip or is endangering themselves/others, those individuals will not be allowed to participate. They may, however, finish their day skiing/riding at Monarch Mountain using the ski lifts.
- Participants are asked to ski/ride with partners while in the gladed/treed zones and are responsible for keeping track of each other.
- Commercial video or photography is not allowed unless prior approval has been obtained from the USFS San Isabel National Forest and from Monarch Mountain.
- Please pack out everything you pack in.
Meet your guides in the Cat Skiing Yurt located adjacent to the Ski Patrol building at the south end of the main lodge. Here you will sign a waiver form, receive your lift ticket and choose your lunch option; if utilizing demo equipment you’ll also receive a voucher for the Rental Shop – head over to the Rental and Lesson Center to be fitted for equipment; the Java Stop will be open for coffee and breakfast items if you’d like to grab a bite.
Return to the Cat Yurt for a brief orientation and to be supplied with a beacon. Guides will discuss pertinent information for the day regarding snow, avalanche and weather conditions, natural hazards, and group travel requirements. A short orientation video will be presented. It’s important that you listen and ask questions if anything is unclear.
Load the Breezeway lift. The Cat will be waiting for you at the top of the lift.
Mid-Day (time varies)
Meet back at the Cat Skiing Yurt where your custom boxed lunch will be served. Meet back at the Breezeway lift at the time specified by the guides.
Last run! Once in the base area, return to the Cat Skiing Yurt. Return beacons/packs to the guides. This is a good time to tip your guides, if desired. Return demo equipment to the Rental Shop. The Rental Shop closes at 4:30. Head to the Sidewinder Saloon for your free, celebratory beverage.
Last call in the Sidewinder.
Monarch Cat Skiing does not implement a slope rating system for our off-piste (no grooming), backcountry terrain. We operate in varying snow conditions and on a variety of slope types. Guests should be prepared for variabilities in snow texture, as we have it all. Slopes are primarily a NE aspect, but we cover every direction of the compass. All participants must have the ability to ski/ride extreme back country terrain.
Stamp of Approval
Monarch Cat Skiing is a proud member of CatSki US. This organization is made up of the finest snowcat ski operations and guides in the country, providing the framework for establishing operating standards and to provide oversight in compliance with these standards. CatSki US offers continuing education for member operators which benefit our guests and the industry as a whole.